Four-Bean Summer Salad
This hearty salad is full of flavour and quick to make if you’re in a hurry for lunch. Double the quantities if you want to serve it to more people at a barbecue.
- 1 can (420 g) four bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, cut into small wedges
- 2 shallots or ¼ very small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP basil, chopped
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 10 whole kalamata olives
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed, optional
Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl. Adjust the seasonings to taste. If you would like a tangier flavour, add a little more apple cider vinegar. Serve as a light summer lunch accompanied by wholegrain or dark rye bread with smooth ricotta cheese.
Per serve: energy 1814 kJ (432 Cal); protein 20 g; fat 14 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 61 g; fibre 18 g; calcium 126 mg; iron 8 mg