Fresh Beetroot, Carrot & Mint Salad
Make this salad when beetroot is in season (winter-spring). It is very tasty and refreshing and provides filling power without too many calories. The salad is loaded with antioxidants because of its bright colours.
- 500 g raw beetroots (1 bunch)
- 2 carrots
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1 ½ TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey wholegrain mustard
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the beetroots and carrots and then finely grate them, using a food processor or hand held grater.
- Place grated vegetables in a mixing bowl, together with the onion and mint.
- Place the vinegar, mustard and olive oil in a jar with a screwtop lid and shake vigorously until well blended.
- Pour over the salad and mix in well using clean hands so the flavours blend through properly. Serve as a side dish.
- For a dinner party or BBQ, double the quantity.
- Use leftovers in sandwiches – kids will love the bright purple colour and slightly sweet flavour.
- To avoid purple hands, wear disposable kitchen gloves!
Per serve: energy 441 kJ (105 Cal); protein 2 g; fat 6 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 10 g; fibre 4 g; calcium 32 mg; iron 1 mg