Sour Cherry Sago
A super easy and tangy dessert with a good dose of sour cherries. Sour cherries are loaded with phytonutrients that fight inflammation!
- ⅓ cup sago pearls (or seed tapioca)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cassia stick
- 250 g (about 1 ½ cups) drained pitted sour cherries in syrup (Morello cherries)
- Place sago in a bowl and cover over with cold water. Leave to soften overnight, then drain and rinse excess starch before use.
- Place 400 ml water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Add sago, maple syrup and cinnamon and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until the pearls turn transparent.
- Mix through cherries and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should turn a lovely pink and be sticky and gelatinous.
- Remove from heat and divide into four individual ramekin dishes (about ½ cup per dish). Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours to set before serving chilled. Serve with a dollop of vanilla bean yoghurt.
Per serve: energy 547 kJ (131 Cal); protein 1 g; fat 0 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 32 g; fibre 1 g; calcium 18 mg; iron 1 mg; sodium 4 mg