Roasted Soy Nuts
Roasted soy nuts are tasty and one of the richest sources of phytoestrogens. They make an ideal snack, and are the perfect addition to salads. To make a mixed snack food, add some small pretzels and breakfast cereal shapes of your choice.
- 2 cups soybeans
- 1 tsp soybean or canola oil
- 1 tsp ground sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- Pinch salt, optional
- Pinch ground hot chilli, optional
- Cover the soybeans with plenty of water (at least 1.5 litres) and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Drain the soybeans and spread on two non-stick oven trays.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the soybeans are golden brown. Remove from the oven and place in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the oil and drizzle it over the roasted soybeans. Mix well so that each soybean is coated.
- Sprinkle the soybeans with the ground spices, mixing well. Adjust to taste with salt and ground hot chilli. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for later use. Makes 3 cups.
Per serve: energy 534 kJ (128 Cal); protein 11 g; fat 6 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 9 g; fibre 3 g; calcium 85 mg; iron 5 mg