Sticky Date Porridge
Something this good should take hours! In 15 minutes you’re ready for a delicious breakfast or a quick, smooth, dessert.
- 8 dried Iranian dates, halved
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine the dates with 1 ½ cups of water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes until flesh has collapsed and color is uniform.
- Add the oat bran, cinnamon and 2 cups of water to another saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook for approximately 2 minutes, depending on your preferred consistency.
- To serve, swirl the date sauce through the porridge so it is only partly mixed in or layer the sauce and porridge into two bowls.
- 1. Top with natural yoghurt, nuts, ground linseeds or fresh fruit.
- 2. Serve as a quick and satisfying dessert.
Per serve: energy 578 kJ (138 Cal); protein 5 g; fat 2 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 26 g; fibre 6 g; calcium 24 mg; iron 2 mg; sodium 4 mg