Baked Yellow Banana Peppers with Yoghurt Sauce
This is a simple way to enjoy banana peppers when they are in season. They have a long shape like bananas, are yellow in colour and sweet rather than hot. When baked, they turn soft and succulent.
- 10 (700 g) yellow banana peppers
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt, optional
- 200 g natural yoghurt European-style
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C.
- Wash peppers and lay them in a row in a large baking dish or tray.
- Drizzle over the oil and rub the peppers lightly so all sides are coated. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Place in hot oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes until they start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the crushed garlic into the yoghurt with a spoon, until creamy and smooth.
- Pour yoghurt down the middle of the tray of peppers.
- Serve as a side vegetable dish to a main course or as part of a mezze platter.
Per serve: energy 355 kJ (85 cal); protein 3 g; fat 6 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 6 mg; carbohydrate 5 g; fibre 2 g; calcium 98 mg; iron 1 mg