Brown Lentil & Mushroom Soup
This easy to make main meal soup was inspired by Sue's visit to the Paul Getty Museum in LA, a place for all things artistic!
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500 g mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 4 TBSP dry sherry
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 chicken-style all vegetable stock cubes e.g. Massel
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 TBSP salt reduced soy sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- ½ bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Warm the oil in a large soup pot and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and sherry and cook, uncovered, until the mushrooms soften and the alcohol evaporates.
- Add diced carrot, celery, lentils, stock cubes, spices and approximately 2 litres of water. Cover with lid and bring to the boil. Turn down heat and simmer half covered for approximately 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Season with soy sauce and pepper and stir through coriander.
- Serve in large white soup bowls with grainy bread. This recipe freezes well and makes for great leftovers!
Per serve: energy 659 kJ (157 Cal); protein 8 g; fat 8 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 11 g; fibre 6 g; calcium 54 mg; iron 2 mg