Lebanese-style Rice with Brown Lentils
This is an easy way to make very tasty rice and cater for a lot of people. The dish is called 'muzadara' - with the 'z' pronounced in the French way.
- 1 ½ cups brown lentils
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice
- 1 tsp salt
- Crushed black pepper, a shake
- Place the lentils in a saucepan together with 1 cup of water (or enough to just cover them), cover with lid, and bring to the boil. Turn down heat to very low and steam lentils until you finish the next step.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and sauté the onions for approximately 10-15 minutes until they are very dark brown - the colour of mahogany.
- Add the onions, rice, salt, pepper and 3 cups of water to the lentils and mix well. Bring to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer covered with a lid for approximately 25 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
Makes 9 cups
- If the heat source is too high you may need to add some more water to the lentils to prevent them from sticking while you are preparing the onions.
Per serve: energy 1099 kJ; (263) Cal; protein 11 g; fat 7 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 40 g; fibre 5 g; calcium 35 mg; iron 3 mg