Lasagne with Fetta, Rocket & Champignons
This meal is a ‘rich source’ of phytoestrogens because it contains TVP—a versatile ingredient that you can use in many recipes instead of minced meat.
- 1 ½ cups dehydrated textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 820 g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ TBSP dried sweet basil
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup champignons, sliced
- 6 large instant lasagne sheets
- 80 g rocket (arugula) or baby spinach leaves, washed and drained well
- 100 g fetta cheese, crumbled
- 500 g creamed cottage cheese
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese
- Rehydrate the TVP by covering it with 1 cup hot water and letting it stand for about 15 minutes—while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Purée the tomatoes in a blender for 1 minute and mix in the sweet basil. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add the rehydrated TVP and champignons and continue frying for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Spread a few spoonfuls of the tomato and basil sauce onto the bottom of a lasagne dish. Line the dish with two large lasagne sheets to cover the bottom.
- Spread half of the TVP mixture evenly over the lasagne sheets. Cover with half of the rocket leaves and half of the creamed cottage cheese. Sprinkle with half of the crumbled fetta cheese and pour over a third of the remaining tomato and basil sauce.
- Cover with another layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat step six, using the remaining half of the ingredients.
- Cover with the last two lasagne sheets and pour over the remaining tomato and basil sauce. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 200°C (400°F). Reduce the heat to 150°C (300°F), and bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve as a main meal with a tossed green salad.
- Lasagne is best made the day before because it’s easier to handle without falling apart. Slice while cold and then reheat.
Per serve: enegy 1580 kJ (377 Cal); protein 28 g; fat 12 g; saturated fat 6 g; cholesterol 28 mg; carbohydrate 41g; fibre 6g; calcium 232mg; iron 2 mg