Banana Ice Cream
Here’s a super healthy way to feed kids ice cream. Make it from real bananas! You can also use other frozen fruit, such as mango or berries, or experiment with combinations. This recipe needs to be started the day before.
- 4 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg or wattleseed
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- Slice the bananas into small chunks and place on a tray lined with go-between freezer film and freeze until solid e.g. overnight.
- Remove from the freezer and defrost slightly e.g. 5-10 minutes. Place into a food processor e.g. Magimix together with the cinnamon and vanilla and puree until forms a smooth, ice cream like texture. Note – if you crush the frozen banana as soon as you take it out of the freezer, it will resemble breadcrumbs until it thaws slightly.
- Serve immediately in bowls or re-freeze for later use.
- For extra flavour, drizzle each banana ice cream portion with passionfruit or maple syrup just before serving
Per serve: energy 430 kJ (103 cal); protein 2 g; fat 0 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 24 g; fibre 3 g; calcium 6 mg; iron 1 mg