Sweet Orange & Hazelnut Hotcake Stack
Use this as your decadent breakfast for that special occassion - it includes the goodness of nuts and wholegrains!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour, sifted
- ¼ cup hazelnut meal
- ¾ cup low-fat milk or soy milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 TBSP sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 oranges
- 3 TBSP honey
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, halved
- In a blender, process the flour, hazelnut meal, milk, eggs and sugar until smooth. Set aside for 5–10 minutes.
- Using a small sharp knife, peel the oranges, making sure you remove all the white pith as this will taste bitter once cooked. Cut the oranges into 1-cm slices.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan and spray with olive oil spray. Drop a ¼ cup of the batter into the hot pan and cook until bubbles appear. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. This should take about 1–2 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- To make the orange sauce, place the hazelnuts into a small thick-bottomed pan and toast until fragrant. Add the honey, juice and orange slices and cook over a medium heat 2–3 minutes until slices just start to soften and the honey has caramelised a little.
- Serve on large dinner plates. For each serve, arrange orange slices on top of two pancakes—one stacked on the other—and drizzle with the sauce and Low-Fat Yoghurt Cream on the side.
Per serve: energy 2192 kJ (522 Cal); protein 19 g; fat 19 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 153 mg; carbohydrate 71 g; fibre 10 g; sodium 430 mg; calcium 211 mg; iron 3 mg