Warm Fava Bean Salad
You can make this tangy Middle Eastern salad using canned fava beans (broad beans) and enjoy it as a simple meal or serve it as a side dish. If you prepare it a day ahead and serve it cold, the flavour only continues to improve.
- 2 cans of fava beans (2 x 425 g)
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Mint leaves from a few stalks, chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Arabic seven spice
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper, optional
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1-1½ lemons, depending on taste
- Remove fava beans from cans and warm gently in saucepan. Drain and place in a salad bowl together with all the other prepared ingredients.
- Toss gently to combine. The salad should taste tangy and be glistening.
- Serve in bowls with Lebanese or Turkish bread on the side or pile on top of toast like a bruschetta.
- The California Garden brand of canned fava beans is particularly nice. This is available from Arabic supermarkets
- For a variation, substitute 4 finely chopped spring onions for the Spanish onion.
Per serve: energy 995 kJ (237 Cal); protein 17 g; fat 10 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 18 g; fibre 12 g; calcium 110 mg; iron 7 mg