Pecan & Ginger Drops
Delicious, easy to make and perfect to replace ordinary biscuits, which usually hide saturated and trans fats and raise your cholesterol! Enjoy with a hot cuppa. Drops store well in an airtight container for several days.
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 inch nob of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 200 g pitted medjool dates (approx. 10 large dates with pips removed)
- 4 extra pecans, broken into 6 pieces each, for garnishing
- Place pecans in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add dates and grated ginger and continue processing until combined and a doughy mixture starts to form.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Divide mixture into four and roll the contents of each quarter into 6 walnut sized balls. Tip: moisten hands with water so the mixture is less sticky.
- Place balls onto an ungreased baking tray and gently press down one piece of pecan in the middle of each drop to garnish. Gently press mixture back together around the sides if the balls appears to be splitting, before placing in the oven. Note - balls will not spread when baking so they can be placed close together.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown using the upper rack so the bottoms do not burn. Makes 24 drops.
Per serve: energy 576 kJ (138 Cal); protein 2 g; fat 12 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 6 g; fibre 2 g; calcium 12 mg; iron 1 mg; sodium 2 mg