These thin European-style crepes are delectable. You can fill them with virtually any sweet or savoury filling. Crepes can be made up to several days before you serve them—they keep well in the fridge. Simply reheat in the microwave.
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp canola or sunflower oil
- 2 cups plain white flour
- ½ cup soy flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 litre low-fat soy milk
- ⅛ cup extra canola or sunflower oil
- Whisk the egg and the oil with an electric beater for about 5 seconds, until combined. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients with the soy milk and an extra ⅓ cup water. Whisk with the electric beater until the batter is smooth and lump free.
- Cover the batter mixture and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a 25-cm crepe pan and drizzle in about 2 ml of oil from the extra amount of oil. Add 1 soup ladleful (about ½ cup) of the batter mixture to the centre of the hot pan, swirling so that a crepe forms on the entire surface of the pan. Flip the crepe over when you notice the sides have turned golden brown. You will know the crepe is ready to flip if it moves when you gently shake the pan forwards and backwards.
- Repeat with the remaining batter mixture until all the crepes are cooked. Place crepes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm before serving. The batter mixture makes 14 crepes. Serve with Fresh Strawberry Sauce or gourmet jams such as apricot, dark plum or quince jam or canned berries. Add the filling to one side of a crepe and roll or fold it into quarters. To garnish stuffed crepes, drizzle with extra filling of your choice.
Per serve: energy 1193 kJ (284 Cal); protein 14 g; fat 6 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 34 mg; carbohydrate 43 g; fibre 2 g; calcium 198mg; irom 3 mg