Spiced Chickpeas with Silverbeet & Lemon
Try this simple and tasty dish for long lasting energy! Chickpeas are loaded with fibre to fill you up and provide low GI, slow release, carbs.
- 1 cup dry chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds
- 1 TBSP coriander seeds
- ½ TBSP fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large bunch of silverbeet, blanched and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- Cook chickpeas in a saucepan with plenty of water for approximately 50 minutes, or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the spices and continue frying just until they begin to pop and release their aroma, being careful not to burn the spices.
- Mix in the chickpeas until they are well coated with the spices.
- Toss in the silverbeet and turn up the heat, stirring until the flavours have just combined. Drizzle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately on a bed of steamed brown rice and enjoy!
- Use 3 cups of canned chickpeas (2 x 400 g cans) instead of cooking the dry beans from scratch.
- Microwave the chopped silverbeet with a tablespoon of water for 1 minute, instead of blanching.
- Swap the silverbeet with other greens of your choice e.g. spinach, watercress. Some greens do not need to be blanched, but can simply be added at the end of the cooking process as they wilt quickly.
Per serve: energy 811 kJ (193 Cal); protein 8 g; fat 11 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 16 g; fibre 8 g; calcium 121 mg; iron 4 mg