Chickpea Curry with Pumpkin & Baby Spinach
You will love making this easy curry with its slightly sweet and spicy flavour.
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 415 g canned peeled tomatoes, pureed
- 1 ½ cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained
- 320 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Salt (optional)
- 2 TBSP fresh coriander, chopped
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Mix in the chilli powder, coriander, cumin, tomato paste, pureed tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Stir well.
- Add the chickpeas and pumpkin pieces and bring to the boil. Adjust the flavour with a little salt if desired.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin is just tender.
- Add the coriander and baby spinach leaves and simmer for a few minutes until leaves just start to wilt.
- Serve the curry on top of steamed basmati rice and garnish with extra coriander leaves, and a pappadum.
- If you find this curry a little hot, try some yoghurt on the side.
Per serve: energy 824 kJ (197 Cal); protein 7 g; fat 6 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 33 g; fibre 7 g; calcium 154 mg; iron 5 mg
For more delicious recipes, and to see the nutritional analysis for this recipe, please purchase a copy of Eat to Live.