Chia Seed Porridge
An easy, raw food porridge to enjoy chilled in summer. Chia seeds are loaded with viscous fibre to help lower cholesterol and blood sugar and promote digestive health.
- ½ cup black chia seeds
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 cups low fat soy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Shake ground cinnamon
- Place chia into a medium bowl and stir in the maple syrup until mixture resembles wet gravel.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla and let sit for 5 minutes until chia starts to swell.
- Stir contents so there are no clumps. Cover with lid and refrigerate overnight until thickened.
- Stir again and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving. Makes 2 ½ cups.
- Top with walnuts and sliced banana for extra texture and flavour.
Per serve: energy 1160 kJ (277 Cal); protein 9 g; fat 15 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 24 g; fibre 9 g; calcium 289 mg; iron 2.7 mg; sodium 151 mg