This warming and spiced beverage is perfect for the autumn or a cold winter's night. You can consume it with the safe assurance of a good nights sleep, knowing it has no caffeine and the goodness of soy! The spices provide strong antioxidants and anti-microbial properties and the drink is also lactose and gluten free
- 1 rooibos tea bag
- 1 tsp whole clove
- 1 tsp cardamom pods
- ½ stick cassia or cinnamon
- 1 small nob of fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups low fat soy milk
- 2 tsp honey
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Place 1 1/4 cups of water into a small saucepan together with the tea bag and spices, cover with lid and bring to boil. Turn down heat slightly and boil for 3 minutes.
- Mix in the soy milk and honey and bring to boil again, uncovered, being careful that it doesn't burn or boil over. Remove from heat just as it starts to foam and rise.
- Pour into two tall mugs through a small strainer. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Enjoy immediately.
Per serve: energy 382 kJ (90 Cal); protein 6 g; fat <1 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 16 g; fibre 1 g; sodium 0 mg; calcium 177 mg; iron 0.8 mg