Smooth Carrot & Orange Soup
The bright orange colour of this soup is striking and the flavour will even appeal to non-carrot lovers. It’s also quick and easy to make.
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Shake of cayenne pepper
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and roughly sliced into 1 cm rings
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and roughly sliced into 1 cm rings
- 1.25 litres of chicken-style all vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 orange
- Salt, to taste
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the ginger, spices and cayenne and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato and stock, cover with lid, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, half covered, for approximately 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Puree the contents until smooth and stir through orange juice. Season with salt, to taste, and add a little more boiling water if you desire a thinner consistency.
- Serve hot sprinkled with coriander.
- Make an instant stock by dissolving 2 Massel stock cubes in 1.25 litres water.
Per serve: energy 407 kJ (97 Cal); protein 2 g; fat 5 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 12 g; fibre 5 g; calcium 54 mg; iron 1 mg