Bruschetta with Tomato & Basil on Rye
This is very simple to make for a quick snack or a light meal. Dark rye bread is particularly rich in the lignan family of phytoestrogens.
- 2 firm, ripe tomatoes, cut into very small pieces handful basil leaves, finely chopped
- ½ small clove garlic, crushed
- ⅛ small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch crushed black pepper
- 4 thick slices rye bread
- Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Place the rye slices on an oven tray and toast lightly on both sides under the griller for a few minutes.
- Serve the toasted rye bread piled high with the tomato mixture. Serves two people as a snack, or four if offered as an appetiser.
Per serve: energy 875 kJ (209 Cal); protein 5 g; fat 9 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 28 g; fibre 4 g; calcium 50 mg; iron 2 mg