Spaghetti Bolognaise with Red Wine
This is a really easy low fat and cholesterol free spaghetti bolognaise recipe to replace the traditional fatty meat sauce. It is packed with flavour and provides a good source of soy protein and phytoestrogens to lower high cholesterol!
- 1 cup dehydrated textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
- Pinch ground hot paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500 g tomato pasta sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- Place the TVP in a small bowl and cover with ⅔ cup hot water. Set aside and allow to rehydrate for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add the basil, paprika, cinnamon stick, hydrated TVP, 1 cup of water and tomato pasta sauce and mix well. Cover the sauce with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Mix in the red wine and simmer for 15 minutes, half-covered, stirring occasionally. Serve on top of the spaghetti with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Makes around 4 cups of bolognaise sauce.
- Wholemeal spaghetti is available and will further boost the fibre content of this meal.
Per serve: calories 128; fat 3 g (22 per cent of calories from fat); saturated fat 0.4 g; carbohydrate 16 g; fibre 4 g; cholesterol 0 mg; calcium 40 mg.