Wheat Berries with Walnuts and Sultanas
A lovely dessert made from a wholegrain, freshly ground walnuts and dried fruit. Simple. Serve warm or cold.
- 1 cup uncooked wholewheat (wheat berries)
- 3/4 cup walnuts, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Rinse the wheat berries and cook, covered, with 5 cups of water until tender. This will take approximately 1 hour on a conventional stove, or 15 minutes in a pressure cooker. Allow the pressure to reduce naturally before removing the lid - this will further soften the grains.
- Drain the wheat using a sieve, rinse, and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well so the honey is distributed and coats all the ingredients.
- Serve in a dessert bowl and enjoy! Keeps well in the fridge for up to a week.
- Use a hand held Parmesan grater with a chamber to freshly grind the nuts
Per serve: energy 1586 kJ (281 Cal); protein 5 g; fat 11 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 40 g; fibre 6 g; calcium 16 mg; iron 2 mg; sodium 8 mg