Barley in Garlic Yoghurt Sauce
This is Sue's version of a traditional Lebanese recipe passed on by a client. Barley is rich is viscous dietary fibre, which lowers high blood cholesterol and regulates blood sugar levels.
- 1 cup pearled barley, soaked overnight in plenty of water
- 500 ml 98 % fat free natural yoghurt or buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt, pinch
- Rinse the barley and place with 4 cups of fresh water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook on medium heat for approximately half an hour or until soft.
- Drain the barley. Stir in yoghurt, crushed garlic and salt.
- Serve as a snack or simple meal in a bowl with a spoon. Barley can be stored in the refrigerator for up to several days.
- Makes a very refreshing snack, especially on a hot summer’s day.
- Buy a creamy yoghurt rather than one set in a pot and stir it well before adding to barley.
Per serve: energy 689 kJ (164 Cal); protein 8 g; fat 1 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 4 mg; carbohydrate 30 g; fibre 5 g; calcium 154 mg; iron 1 mg