Baked Green Apples with Cranberries
This is a much-loved, simple, classic recipe. Using Phytosprinkle in the stuffing means it’s rich in phytoestrogens.
- 4 large green apples
- 2 TBSP Phytosprinkle (see below)
- 2 TBSP sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 TBSP honey
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Wash and core the apples. Cut a slit around the middle of each apple to prevent it from exploding into an undesirable shape. The peel will also lift off easily when the apples are baked.
- Combine the dried cranberries (reserve 4 berries for garnishing), Phytosprinkle and honey.
- Fill the hollowed centre of each apple with the stuffing mixture, pressing down firmly and finishing off with a berry.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and add approximately ½ cm of water to the bottom of the dish.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 45 minutes, until the apples are browned. Serve piping hot, or refrigerate and serve the next day as a cold dessert.
- ½ cup linseeds, whole
- ½ cup sesame seeds, whole
- ½ cup sunflower kernels, whole
- ½ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- Mix all the ingredients together. Store in an airtight glass jar in a dark cupboard or pantry.
- Use daily on your breakfast cereal, add it to the topping for fruit crumble or use in bread or muffins.
Makes around 2 cups or 25 level tablespoons
Per serve: energy 798 kJ (190 Cal); protein 2 g; fat 3 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 42 g; fibre 7 g; calcium 39 mg; iron 1 mg