Scrambled Tofu with Tomato
This is an Asian twist to a Greek idea, usually made with eggs and tomatoes. The tofu and turmeric combination makes this dish reminiscent of soft scrambled eggs yet it’s super healthy and delicious! Serve for breakfast or a light Sunday night dinner with grainy bread and any sides of your choice, such as pan seared mushrooms or wilted spinach.
- 600 g classic or regular (medium texture) tofu
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small (80 g) onion, finely chopped
- 1 soft medium (170 g) tomato, coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- Coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- Drain water from tofu pieces then place on board and wrap in kitchen toweling to absorb excess moisture. Allow to sit while preparing other ingredients.
- Heat oil in pan and sauté onion on medium heat for about 5 minutes until golden.
- Add tomato and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes until tomato softens. Stir in the seasonings.
- Break up tofu with your hands and add to the pan then gently stir to incorporate the flavours. Continue cooking on low heat for a further 5 minutes till tofu is heated through. Serve immediately. Note - if liquid starts to separate from the tofu, simply stir again before plating up.
- You can also add garlic and any herbs of your choice.
- Use Fortune brand press silken or firm tofu, for the prefect texture.
Per serve: energy 1255 kJ (300 Cal); protein 17 g; fat 26 g; saturated fat 4 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 3 g; fibre 7 g; calcium 112 mg; iron 4 mg; sodium 397 mg